Manchester Conditioning Update 11
NO OYSTERS DIED!
Between the new buckets, increased flow, lower temperature and live algae, something is making the oysters happy. The one oyster from Heat Shock B we counted as dead but still weren’t sure about was gaping a lot and did not close its shell at all this morning. We were correct in our assessment that it was dead on Tuesday. But no additional deaths!
I checked the buckets and they really weren’t dirty. I didn’t want to rinse the oysters off with freshwater and accidentally trigger spawning, so I just left the buckets as is. I opened up the Heat Shock B oyster and 2 additional ones from Full Amb B to examine gonad maturation. I wanted to make sure the oysters didn’t reabsorb their gonad in the colder water conditions.
Table 1. Revised oyster counts in each tank, as of July 27.
The Heat Shock B oyster was pretty ripe!
Figure 1. Heat Shock B oyster gonad.
Figure 2. Heat Shock B oyster gametes. These are sperm.
The first one I opened from Full Amb B was pretty unripe. There was a small section that was starting to get milky, but really nothing spectacular. This made me nervous since the gonad was pretty large, just underdeveloped. I wasn’t sure if the gonad was milky previously and the oyster had reabsorbed in two days.
Figure 3. Unripe Full Amb B oyster gonad.
Nervously, I opened up another Full Amb B oyster. This gonad was nice and milky, so I’m not worried about gonad maturity for spawn!
Figures 4-5. Ripe Full Amb B oyster gonad.
If the oysters continue surviving until Saturday and there’s a 50/50 sex ratio, I will have 72 crosses total. There aren’t enough five gallon or two gallon buckets to fertilize all crosses in the same container, so this is something I need to discuss with Steven. There definitely are enough tripours if we choose to fertilize in tripours with airstones.